August 19, 2011 at 6:00 am
***There are still a few more days to sign up for the I’m Organic lunch bag give-away, so sign up to win!***
But in the meantime, I wanted to tell you about some of our favorite things we put in our I’m Organic lunch bags. My goal for a healthy lunch is to include a fruit or vegetable (and both if I can!), a serving of whole grains, a serving of protein and sometimes, a little something special. We eat primarily vegetarian here, so here’s what you might see in our lunch bags:
- A container of strawberries, a container of sliced cucumbers, a serving of quinoa and yogurt.
- A serving of bean or lentil soup with rice or barley, a serving of sugar snap peas, and a pear.
- Hummus, whole grain crackers, carrots cubed cheeses and a healthy cookie
- Dried apricots, a salad with beans and seeds and a healthy muffin
- An apple, nut butter, celery, a hard-boiled egg and a side of noodles
- Baked potato or sweet potato (I add a pat of butter and a little sprinkle of cinnamon on the sweet potato and then wrap them in foil), soup, and a Lara or Odwalla bar
- Smoothie, healthy muffin, nuts and popcorn or a rice cake
What are your favorite school-time lunches?